The Most Holy Virgin Mary’s Ascension Church in Palanga was built more than hundred years ago and attracts almost every gaze of the passers-by with its neo-gothic beauty and greatness. There are also something to be admired inside: an impressive pulpit and three skilfully made marble altars decorated with bas-reliefs brought from France. The central altar bears the image of Mary Mother of God mentioned as early as in the 17th century. The other two wooden altars situated in the side naves were brought from the former wooden church.
The first small wooden Catholic Church in Palanga was built in 1540 at the initiative of Ona Jogailaitė. Another cross-shaped church with a tower and a bell tower was built in 1590 at the initiative of Lithuanian authorities.
In 1767, the wooden church was rebuilt again and survived for 140 years. In 1897, a construction of a new neo-gothic church designed by a Swedish architect Karl Eduard Strandmann was started next to the old wooden church. The construction works were funded by count Feliksas Tiškevičius. In 1907, when the construction of the brick church was completed, the old wooden church was destroyed.
On 15 August, during a celebration of the Ascension of the Mother of God, the major annual title services are held, and on Sunday following the Assumption, St. Rokas’ Day is celebrated in Palanga.
From 1 April of 2018 was opened observation platform at the tower of church. Visitors will be allowed to visit the observation platform from Mondays to Saturdays from 09:00 till 17:30, on Sunday's from 13:30 till 17:30. Visit is free of charge.
Holy Mass: Monday - Saturday
June - August: 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. (also on Saturdays 9:00 p.m.)
September - May: 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
June - August: 8:00 a.m.; 10:00 a.m.; 12:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
September - May: 8:00 a.m.; 10:00 a.m..; 12:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
The church is open to visitors:
June - August: 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
September - May: 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
* if you would like to visit the church at any other time, please contact the priest in the parish office.