Šventoji – a resort town on the Baltic coast, it is 12 km away to the north from the center of Palanga. A resort town is situated on the left shore of the Šventoji river, which flows into the Baltic Sea. It is an old fisherman’s settlement, where archaeological finds date back to 3000 BC. Over time, a fisherman’s settlement turned into a port, which is known from the XIII century. Šventoji port was actively used in XVI-XVII c. and seriously competing with neighboring Klaipėda, Liepaja, Ventspils and Riga ports, especially after the English merchants got the privilege to equip in Šventoji a port was able to accept large cargo vessels. In XVII c. to Šventoji was granted the right to independently marketed and development of maritime business, it has significantly improved the port economy. Trade with England, Denmark was held through the Šventoji port. Widely held sound about Šventoji port until in 1701 it was destroyed and filled with stones and sand by the Swedish fleet.

When Lithuania became independent, Šventoji as a part of the Couronian province belonged to Latvia. It was returned to Lithuania in 1921 by a decision of the international arbitration committee led by Lord J. Simpson, since most of the residents here were Lithuanians. In 1925 port reconstruction works, creation of fishermen’s settlement began in Šventoji. Unfortunately, the port was constantly choked up with sand, so the works went on with difficulty and Šventoji did not grow into a large port.

Šventoji as a resort town in the Baltic region and Europe was known since the interwar period. The most Šventoji fame and expanded after World War II. In 1970 Šventoji was connected to Palanga and become a part of the resort of Palanga.

Port reconstruction project in Šventoji is ready. Port reconstruction can positively affected by the expansion of the resort town. Šventoji is expanding resort. New modern private homes and hotels are being constructed here, there are many cafes. Population of Šventoji is 2,000 residents. 

Additional information

“The path for small and big”

Just two of kilometers from the Šventoji settlement, district installed a resort and a children's playground “The path for small and big”. The paths are decorated with humor and folklore wood carvings. Cognitive station of path is presenting local history and ethnography. This place you will find driving by car or bicycle towards Liepaja. After the bridge, before the Evangelic Lutheran Church, turn to the right.

Water tower

Šventoji water tower with 600 m3 water tank was built during the Soviet Union period.

The Sculpture "Fisherman’s Daughters"

In 1982 the dunes near the Šventoji port gates, was erected an impressive 4 meters high sculptural composition “Fisherman's Daughters”. The author - Zuzana Pranaitytė. This is the three sea-looking longhaired girls who waiting from fishing returning father.

Lighthouse of Šventoji

Red square drive metal structures Šventoji lighthouse was built in 1957, 780 m from the sea. It’s height is 39 m. Lighthouse - is a navigation mark, a signal visibility is 31 km away. During the entire period of operation of the Šventoji lighthouse is not extinct for more than an hour. In 1964, it is equipped with sound. In 2000 underwent major reconstruction of the lighthouse, the idea was to use new and modern equipment. Lighthouse stands near the Šventosios street, the area is fenced.

Sculpture “The dawn of Baltic”

The sea and the sunrise-looking woman waiting granite sculpture “The dawn of Baltic” you can see it on the southern part of the Šventoji. This sculpture was created in 1990 and formerly located in Palanga but in 2009 transferred to Šventoji.

Monkey’s Bridge

It is unstable in a suspension bridge over a stream of the Šventoji settlement, often called as a symbol of the Šventoji. The bridge was built in 1973. Recently a bridge has been reconstructed.

Landmark

Column signs the state border between Lithuania and Latvia besides Šventoji.

Stone sculpture park “Age of the stone”

“Age of the stone” - is the stone sculpture park located in the territory of Health and Wellness Centre “Energetikas”, Šventoji. Since 2005 we organize international stone sculpture symposiums in the unique area which every year attracts more and more professional sculptors of various generations from Lithuania, Austria, France and other EU countries, as well as from US, Russia and Belarus. “Age of the stone” offers more than 50 masterpieces of art, demonstrating the excellence of sculptors and revealing the old traditions in modern nowadays context.

Information

Branch of Palanga tourism information centre in Sventoji (during the summer season)

Šventosios g. 1, LT-00306 Šventoji. Tel. +370 460 48808, info@palangatic.lt, www.palangatic.lt

 

 

 

USEFUL INFORMATION

 

Name

 

Address

Phone / E-mail

 

Monitor of Sventoji

Šventosios g. 14

+370 460 45257

seniunija@palanga.lt

Fire-fighters station

Šventosios g. 14

01, 112

Sventoji general practitioner’s office

Žuvėdrų g. 4

03, 112,

+370 460 45118

Police

Šventosios g. 14

02, 112

Bus station in Sventoji

Šventosios g. 13B

+370 659 14180

Palanga airport

Liepojos pl. 1

+370 460 52020, +370 460 52234

Post office

Šventosios g. 14

+370 460 45120

Taxi

 

+370 683 39999,

+370 677 44447

SEB bankomat

Šventosios g. 11

1884

Medicinos bank (currency exchange)

Palanga airport, Liepojos pl. 1

+370 460 56396

Lietuvos draudimas (insuarnce company)

Švyturio g. 6

+370 460 45553

Free „Wi-Fi“ location

Šventosios g. 1

 

Rentals points of bicycles, velomobiles, scooters, electric cars

Šventosios g. 1 (in the center),

Jūros g. 30 (next to cafe “Žirnis”),

Jūros g. 78 (next to “Auksinės kopos”)

+370 687 73350

 

 

Lighthouse of Šventoji

Red square drive metal structures Šventoji lighthouse was built in 1957, 780 m from the sea. It’s height is 39 m. Lighthouse - is a navigation mark, a signal visibility is 31 km away. During the entire period of operation of the Šventoji lighthouse is not extinct for more than an hour. In 1964, it is equipped with sound. In 2000 underwent major reconstruction of the lighthouse, the idea was to use new and modern equipment. Lighthouse stands near the Šventosios street, the area is fenced.

Japanese Garden

Japanese garden - it is an integral part of Japanese culture. Garden started to create in 2007 in October as the largest (16 hectares) Japanese garden in Europe. Initiator of Japanese garden is enthusiast farmer Šarūnas Kasmauskas. This project is supported by the Japanese Embassy in Lithuania. To implement his plan the farmer invited masters and teachers from Japan itself. Although the impressive park’s creation works are still on, thousands of people have already visited it. In the park territory there will be not only picturesque ponds, waterfalls, a stone garden, tea houses but also a SPA center, a Japanese restaurant, a Japanese style hotel with conference and concert hall and a comfortable camping. Not only entertainment but cultural and educational projects will be organized here. By the way, this unique object, is situated on a historical Samogitians land, in Mėguva, next to one of the oldest archeologically studied cemeteries in Lithuania – the Kalnalaukis, therefore the Lithuanian history shall not be forgotten. It is planned to install an exposition of historical Mėguva land relics and of the most ancient cemetery of the region in the Cultural center.

 

Sodų str., Mažučiai village, LT-97261 Kretinga district
Tel. +370 616 18530, +370 606 05756
info@japangarden.lt
www.japangarden.lt

Baltic mythology park

You are invited to travel around the ancient of Balts. In traveling through the paths of the park, you can meet with deities of ancient Balts. Start your journey through the adventure trails of travelling deity Bentis and road deity (Kelukio) sculptures, to the left towards to the Moon path. Baltic mythology park cherishes the old cultural values of ancient Balts, educates public spirit, contributes to the state of cultural activities, promotes contacting of the groups of Balts nations and tribes (of regions). In educational park you will be able to not only to get to know, but also to see the Balts nation mythological attitude. The layout of the park is in the vertical and horizontal projections. The task of cognitive paths of park is reveal the original world of Balts ancient and the conception of universe through visual (sculptures) and audio (narrative and singing) in forms. According to the latest findings in Baltic mythology, science and ethnic culture, the old Baltic religion is not idolatrous: it is based on one God (monotheism) surrounded by deities who give substance to life, both spiritual and practical, in the passage of time and in eternal relationship with nature.


Sausdravai village, LT-97261 Kretinga district
Tel. +370 682 55037
baltu.parkas@gmail.com
https://baltuparkas.web.com

Church of the Most Holy Virgin Mary – Star of the Seas

Catholic parish in Šventoji was founded in 1939, the chaplain of the ship “President Smetona”, priest A. Račkauskas was appointed administrator of the parish. Temporary church for the parish was built by Prelate J. Galdikas at his own expense (in one kilometre from the port, near the River Šventoji). Construction of the new church designed by architects R. Krištapavičius and G. Aperavičius was started in 1991. In 2003 the church was consecrated by Bishop J. Boruta. The church in Šventoji satisfies religious needs not only of the permanent residents but of tourists arriving to Šventoji during the summer season. The parish attracts young people; there are family centres and other Catholic organizations.

 

Jūros str. 7, LT-00305 Palanga (Šventoji)
Tel. +370 698 41330
klebonas@sventosiosparapija.lt
www.sventosiosparapija.lt
Priest Vidmantas Gricius

Church of the Most Holy Virgin Mary – Star of the Seas (wooden)

In 1929 the Prelate Dr. Jurgis Galdikas, being an inspector and a teacher of Telšiai ecclesiastical seminary, built on the bank of the Šventoji river, in 1,5 km from the forming fishing port, in his sister Monika Kauniene’s estate a wooden church, faced it inside and outside with boards and covered the roof with galvanized metal sheets. The builder himself prepared a sketch of the church design. The church received the name “Stella Maris” – Mary the Star of Seas. The title is reflected in artfully painted picture above the altar. According to local residents, that year there was a strong storm that caught fishers in the sea. Some fishers were drowned, although some of them managed to escape. The fishers who survived, wishing to thank St. Mary for their escape, brought with their barges to Šventoji materials for the church prepared by Klaipeda furniture factories. From Šventoji the materials were brought to the site and used for construction of the church. Due to 12 km distance between Palanga and Šventoji the builder transferred his private church at the disposal of the bishop of Telšiai and allowed to hold services there for the residents of the developing city and suburbs. The church had become a centre of later formed parish in Šventoji. There are two local artistic monuments in the church: an image of St. Kazimieras (end of the XIX c., oil, canvas, unknown author) and a bell (brass) with writing “Mark Ulman, Karaliaučius 1608”. This bell is one of the oldest in our region, it is older than all the bells of the church in Palanga.

 

Paupio str. 30, Palanga (Šventoji)
Tel. +370 698 41330
klebonas@sventosiosparapija.lt
www.sventosiosparapija.lt
Priest Vidmantas Gricius

Evangelic Lutheran parish in Butinge

In 1520 a Catholic church was built in Elija (Šventoji). After 1540 Elija’s priest became familiar with Lutherans, and the church had got much closer to Curonians residing in this area. During the flood in the autumn, 1637, the church was washed down with water. Construction of a new church began in 1638. The church destroyed by time was built anew in 1727, and in 1728 priest Venkis consecrated the church. In 1809 the church in Elija collapsed again. In 1816 tsar Alexander I visited Curonian province. Rucava priest Baunbach who participated in the ceremonial welcome of the tsar handed in to him an application of Butinge, Elija and other neighbouring villages’ residents asking to restore the church in Elija. Alexander satisfied the request of the residents and allocated 40 000 roubles for implementation of this project. It took rather long to choose a place for the church; although in 1822 basement for the stone church was layed next to the Butinge estate. In 1824 the church was consecrated. Passions had still long raged and accusations were heard that the architect and the manager of Butinge estate built the church in Butinge by fraud, while in fact those were Elija’s residents who were favoured by the tsar. Parish in Butinge (in Šventoji) earlier used to be a part of Rucava’s parish.

 

Liepojos highway 8E, LT-00169 Palanga (Būtingė)
Tel. +370 686 36109
Priest Saulius Varanavičius

 

There are no reviews. Be the first one to give a review!